[CentOS] CentOS 4 x86_64 - Nagios plugins compile issue

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:11:31 UTC 2006

> Trying to compile nagios plugins on an x86_64 box as i have non standard
> locations for some software and coming accross this issue. The plugins
> compile OK but the check_mysql plugin fails to compile and i see this
> error in the compile log
>
> configure:9368: checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient
> configure:9398: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/opt/mysql/include  -L.
> conftest.c -lmysqlclient -L/opt/mysql/lib -lz  >&5
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /opt/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a when
> searching for -lmysqlclient
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient
> | char mysql_init ();
> | mysql_init ();
> configure:9436: checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient
> configure:9466: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/opt/mysql/include  -L.
> conftest.c -lmysqlclient   >&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient
> | char mysql_close ();
> | mysql_close ();
> configure:10217: WARNING: Skipping mysql plugin
>
> any ideas about this as i have to compile these myself - Mysql is being
> found and does run so any ideas would be great. Tne nagios list has
> drawn a blank so far.

It doesn't seem to like your mysql, as it lists it as incompatible. As
a side note, I have to ask why you built mysql in /opt. If it's to get
mysql5 support, rpms for that exist for centos, and don't require
rebuilds of anything else. It's situations like the one you're in that
make package management a worth time investment, doesn't matter if
it's .deb, rpm or even emerge or whatever gentoo calls it.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775