[CentOS] Serious desktop/mouse problem in Gnome

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Feb 21 18:55:15 UTC 2006

At 01:24 PM 2/21/2006, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 12:54 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > I have just gone through a java install.
> >
> > Don't know it that is the cause or just someother freeky thing.
> >
> > My mouse is in total run-away mode.
> >
> > Just touch it and it goes all over the place.  Things start dropping
> > and draging.   The system bar is on the top now and the action
> bar on the side.
> >
> > If I manage to get a terminal window open and leave the mouse alone,
> > I can type.
> >
> > Also <alt-cnlt-F1> gets me to display 1.
> >
> > If I go back to display 0, everything is still hosed.
> >
> > Any pointers?  Some mouse file out of align and too sensitive?  How I
> > fix this and reset things?
> >

> > HELPPPPPPP
> >

>What type of KVM switch are you using?

They are some old Master views.

Use to have an old wheel mouse that did not work.

That is what was present when I build all of these systems.

Now I have a nice Logitech wireless kyb/mouse plugged into the
KVM.  The use wheel is working on my Win32 systems and on 2 other
Centos builds.

Now in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf  the Input Device protocol is "IMPS/2"

A friend had me try "PS/2" and things SEEMed a little bit
better.  Then "auto" and now it seems to be the same as before.

But wait.  When the system booked, I was switched to another
system.  When I boot and leave that system as the 'active' one, I get
a similar action as to when it was "PS/2".

I did an Alt-D while it was starting so I could see the startup
messages and I see that that mouse console services started 'OK'.

Thing is it was fine before, and now not.  And the other systems are fine...