[CentOS] installing on HP DV5000 64 bit

mrrs qwertybyrd01 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 20:27:31 UTC 2006

--- Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:

> mrrs wrote:
> > Has anyone managed to install CentOS 4.2 on an HP dv5000 64 bit laptop?
> >
> > I boot from the install cd, and all of the options I have tried ( return, linux text, linux
> > noprobe, linux lowres ) have had the same result: some text scrolls by really fast ( looks
> like
> > the start of the install), then the screen goes blank with no activity of any kind.
> >
> > The processor is the turion 64, and it has ATI video. The odd thing is, I was actually able to
> > boot knoppix 4.0 to repartition it for dual boot
> >
> > any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> Have you tried connecting an outboard monitor to see if that's a bit
> more revealing of the error message(s) than the LCD?  I suspect you're
> just getting bitten by some video driver issue.
>
> When you get it working, I'd love to hear about your battery life.  My
> R3000Z w/Athlon 64 3400+ blows through the high capacity 12-cell battery
> pretty quickly.  I'm hoping the Turion is a bit better or that someone
> manages to figure out how to get Linux booting up on  the
> lighter/thinner Macbook Pro.  8-)

You're right, it is a video driver issue - when I plugged in the external monitor, everything was
displayed on it, just not the laptop screen. I went ahead and did the install, and when it
finished, it came up as an unknown monitor on a vesa video card, but it did display on the laptop
screen. Now all I need to figure out is if there is a better driver which will work.

Thanks for the assistance!

markus