[CentOS] Server Assistant from Dell?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 23 23:43:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 22:32 +0100, Geert Batsleer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to install centos 4.2 x86_64 on a Poweredge 2800.
>
> This system comes with a  EFI utility partition and has software
> called Server Assistant wich helps you to install your OS so that
> things like RAID and such can get monitored in an 'indepent' way
> afterwards through this EFI partition.
>
> When booting into the Server Assistant (the software is on a linux
> liveCD btw) I get the choice between a couple of supported OS's like
> MS server 2003, Novell or RHEL 3 or 4.
>
> So thinking that centos 4 is  rhel 4 "without the artwork" I choose
> for the RHEL4 option and inject CD 1 from centos 4.2 ... but
> unfortunately I get the error wich asks me to insert the correct CD.
>
> Did anyone found a solution for this? I can always delete this EFI
> partition and install  it the normal way but this feature looks nice
> to play with :-)
----
Officially, Dell does not support CentOS. The SA disc is hard coded to
looking for specific versions of RHEL (3/4 ES/AS/WS) and will not
recognize the CD.

You could have the server assistant cd write the kickstart file and use
the kickstart file with the CentOS cd, probably with little to no
modifications as that is essentially what the SA does.

btw...dell offers a linux-poweredge mail list...

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at dell.com