[CentOS] Which version of Centos 4.2

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at mordasiewicz.com
Fri Feb 24 15:13:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Kari Salovaara wrote:

> I've Intel® Pentium® D processor 820 in my desktop.
> Which version should I install, i386 or x86_64 ?
> I understand that i386 works but how is x86_64 ?
> If I understand correctly, this processor is also EM64T.
> Which are cons and pros ?

if your processor is EM64T then install the x86_64 version.
there are no cons. You will experience performance increases.

You performance increases will vary depending on what you are doing.

If you are just a desktop user then you may not really be able to quantify
any gains, but if you are running a very busy server doing alot of IO then
you will benefit greatly.