[CentOS] Motherboard recommendations

Dan Trainor dan.trainor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 21:18:58 UTC 2006

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> I have been building my systems with Abit IS-10 motherboards, but NewEgg has
> stopped carrying them, so I need to switch to something new.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on a solid motherboard that works well
> with CentOS?  I need a motherboard with built-in video, LAN, and SATA.  I
> don't need RAID or any other fancy features, just something cheap and solid.
>
> I've been looking around, but there are lots of boards that look like they
> would work and I know nothing about any of them.  I was just wondering what
> you guys are using.
>
> Thanks.

Hi, Bowie -

This might be out of your target price range, but we just received 32
Intel SR1425BK1-E based systems a few weeks ago, and to tell you the
truth, they're the most rock-solid motherboards I've ever used.  Period.

Looks like the board alone will run anywhere between $450-500 USD, but
my experience tells me that it was well worth it.

You can find more information here:

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/SE7221BK1-E/index.htm

They've been running CentOS 4.2 flawlessly for about two weeks now under
extremely heavy load, and we haven't seen any problems.

Hope that helps
-dant