[CentOS] Upgrade of Centos 4.1 with 4.2 ISO disc

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 22:45:58 UTC 2006

On 2/26/06, BRUCE STANLEY <bruce.stanley at prodigy.net> wrote:
> Can I upgrade my Centos 4.1 system with the 4.2 ISO install disc?
>
>  If so, how do I do it?  It seams to want to do a full (i.e. format, wipe
> out old)
>  install over everything.  I do not want to lose my various configurations
>  (e.g. kppp, kde desktop settings, etc) that I have already set up under
>  4.1.

If you have all 4 of the install cd's, or the install dvd for centos4,
then yes. The dvd has yum repository data built into it, so you can
mount the dvd and point yum at the repo wherever you mounted the dvd,
If you have CDs, then you can create a repository from it. You may
want to look at a program like yam from dag to do something like this
for you. This will only bring you up to 4.2 release time... it won't
get you current, and 4.3 should be out in the near future, so you'll
still be behind.....

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775