[CentOS] Upgrading to CentOS 4.2 from FC2?

Fri Feb 3 00:05:01 UTC 2006
Steve Bergman <steve at rueb.com>

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 06:59 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 05:24 -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:

> both are possible, neither are recommended by upstream.
>
> type 'linux upgradeany' in boot line before pressing <ENTER> key
>
> if you have reasonable skill sets at working with Linux, you have the
> list to help with questions, you should be OK - especially if you back
> up critical files.

Thank you.  I did the conversion last Sunday and it went well. (rpm -qa
--last is your friend!)  I forcibly removed all the packages that didn't
get upgraded (except for a few that I knew were 3rd party), and then
"yum install"'d the same packages.  (There were only about 100 packages
that I had to deal with after the upgrade which, all in all, is not that
bad.)

I also have some FC4 machines that I would like to convert.  I would
guess that this would not be a good idea.  Best to skip the FC5 upgrade
next month and convert to CentOS 5 next fall.

Comments?

Oh, and by the way, thank you to the team that makes CentOS possible.
I'm realizing that Linux has matured to the point that running cutting
edge versions of software doesn't buy one that much anymore, since
slightly older packages are usually good enough.  The packages in CentOS
4 correspond, more or less, to Fedora packages which are 14 months old.
I recently converted my own desktop from FC4 to CentOS and I really
don't miss a thing.

And a big thank you to the Prominent North American Linux Vendor that
goes beyond what they are legally required to do to make CentOS possible
in a practical sense. :-)

-Steve