[CentOS] Oracle and kernel 2.6 vs 2.4 performance question

Mon Feb 6 15:17:47 UTC 2006
Benjamin J. Weiss <benjamin at birdvet.org>

All,

We're currently running Oracle 9i on a RHEL AS 2.1 installation.  We
need to upgrade to Oracle 10g, and I've half-way convinced my boss to
upgrade to RHEL 4 (we're still discussing AS vs ES, since we're running
2 HT processors...).

Anyway, I want to upgrade because of EOL issues whenever RHEL 5 comes
out, but before he okays me wiping the server and installing 4, he wants
to know if we're going to get any specific benefits out of upgrading the
OS.  I recall that the 2.6 kernel did a bunch of optimization stuff, but
is there anything in there that would affect the performance of Oracle 10g?

And if so, are there any web sites to which I can direct him?  So far my
googling hasn't been very productive.  Maybe I'm using the wrong search
terms.

Thanks!

Ben Weiss