[CentOS] Mount LVM

Thu Feb 9 15:35:27 UTC 2006
Simone <simone72 at email.it>

Hi guys,
sorry if this is trivial, but I have been googling a couple days and
already compromised a test disk trying to figure this out, so I thought
it is time to ask for some advice. I have a disk that comes from a clean
and working CentOS4.2 install, and I am trying to use an external usb to
ide converter to mount it on another workstation with CentOS4.2. I am
trying this to better understand how LVM works, in the case of a future
disaster/recovery scenario.
Simply trying to mount it:
mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc2 /share/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc2, or too
many mounted file systems

fdisk -l shows
/dev/sdc1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sdc2              14        7476    59946547+  8e  Linux LVM
and in fact, /dev/sdc1 is automatically mounted.

vgscan reveals only my current volume group
Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2    (mount -->
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw))

lvmdiskscan  -->  /dev/sdc2    [       57.17 GB] LVM physical volume
---> This being the volume I want to mount

lvscan detects only the volumes on my system
ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [112.34 GB] inherit
ACTIVE (root)           '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [1.94 GB] inherit  (swap)

If I  run "vgchange -a y" -->  2 logical volume(s) in volume group
"VolGroup00" now active, the ones in my system.

I went through LVM Howto, and also tried to follow a few "mount/recovery
procedures" with the only result of compromising the other test disk.
I think this the problem is that the vg on my system has the same name
of the one on the external usb disk, but I am not sure of what result
would have running vgrename, vgcreate or lvcreate on the data, so I'd
rather wait for some advice.

Any help appreciated