[CentOS] I appear to be attacking others

Sun Feb 5 15:10:49 UTC 2006
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Jeff Kinz wrote:

> Most hackers install multiple backdoors on a system once they get in.
> Your system has been compromised and you have know way of knowing what
> executables on your system have been replaced by trojans.
>
> You have only one choice:
>
> 	You must reformat the hard drive and re-install from the beginning
>
> 	This is the only way you can be sure that you have removed all
> 	the backdoors from the system.

Where practical, I also agree with this statement.  That really is the
only way to be sure.  Though you also have to sit down and consider how
the naughty people compromised your machine in the first place and make
sure that vulnerability is fixed on the fresh install....or you'll just
be doing this again in a few days.

Cheers,