[CentOS] Adding HP7310 networked printing support

Fri Feb 10 04:07:18 UTC 2006
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 21:40 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> At 08:58 PM 2/9/2006, Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 17:41 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > > I have an HP7310 network attached.  Looks like it uses port 9100
> > >
> > > I want to print to it.  And from my Asterisk at home server.
> > >
> > > I see that I do not have the "Printing Support" group installed.
> > > guess this would be the first set.
> > >
> > > Then I see http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/hplip_readme.html
> > >
> > > Is this driver included in the Centos repos?
> > >
> > > There are a number of caveats.
> > >
> > > Of course, for me, the biggest is need to do a make.  I bet the
> > AAH
> > > build doesn't have what that will take!
> > ----
> > if A at H is CentOS and uses CentOS repositories...
> >
> > then
> >
> > yum install gcc gcc-c++ autoconf
> >
> > should get the dependencies and install anything you would need to
> > 'make' stuff
>
> good, but I don't like it :)
>
> > I don't know about hplip but you could 'yum install hpijs' which
> > might
> > have what you need.
>
> To quote from the above URL:
>

> HPLIP uses HPIJS for generating printer-ready-data for non-postscript
> print jobs. HPIJS has been available since 2001 as a uni-di solution.
> HPIJS has been modified to support HPLIP, but HPIJS is still backward
> compatible with existing spoolers.
>
> And I just tried yum install hplip and came up empty.
>
> Given what the the URL tells about this utility, I would think it
> should be part of the Centos base!
----
you can always check the repositories to see what's around as a single
'yum install hplip' is simply a single shot in the dark...

man yum # i.e. yum search...

you can always use a web browser to check a mirror and see what's in
os/CentOS/RPMS or centosplus or dag and even dev.centos.org

you probably should at least 'try' the hpijs as it may do what you want

you can try the suggestion by Phil which seems reasonable though
obviously out of band

and whether you like building from source or not...it's always an option
and either creating your own spec file, sometimes tarballs have spec
files included or using checkinstall, you can build/install rpms to sort
of keep your hands from getting dirty by building directly (though it's
awful easy to ./configure && make && make install on most stuff).

Craig