[CentOS] Duplicate computers

Fri Feb 10 19:49:32 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 12:37, Will McDonald wrote:
> On 10/02/06, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I need to do an install on 12 identical computers. Once I have
> > > done the install on one of them, is there a simple way to
> > > duplicate the drive to the next computer.
> > >
> > > I do not have access to Ghost, any suggestion?
> >
> > network install + kickstart.
>
> Or for a low-tech solution, if the disks are identical, boot rescue
> mode from CD and
>
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
>
> Where sda is the whole disk of an already installed system and sdb is
> a blank disk.

Yes, this is the easy way, especially it the drives are in
hot-swap bays.  If you edit the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* files to change
the IP's, be sure to remove the HWADDR= line so it will work
after you move to the real server.  Depending on how the
server was configured, you may or may not have corresponding
files under /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default that
need to be adjusted or removed.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmiksesell at gmail.com