[CentOS] nmap showing lots of ports open that shouldn't be

Sun Feb 12 20:17:08 UTC 2006
jim at datamantic.com <jim at datamantic.com>

I have a  CentOS 4.2 machine. lokkit shows that a firewall is
enabled, and it is customized to allow SSH, Web, and DNS traffic only.

But if I run nmap against the server IP (from my home machine,
outside the local network) it shows over 1000 open ports. Am I not
understanding nmap, or is there something seriously wrong here?

Here is a small snip of the nmap output (I can include it all if that
is helpful, but it is quite long):

(The 202 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT      STATE SERVICE
1/tcp     open  tcpmux
2/tcp     open  compressnet
3/tcp     open  compressnet