[CentOS] How can I disable sound?

Mon Feb 13 22:31:24 UTC 2006
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

I usually don't setup any GUI on my Linux systems. Yesterday I installed
with X and Gnome on a spare system for some testing and hit a problem.
Right after login the system freezes. The system froze already earlier
when I opted to test the sound card on the Welcome screen and when I login
with the alternative login choice xterm and shut down it freezes when
"saving mixer settings". So, I suspect there's some problem with the
onboard sound or with the driver that gets used from X.
How's the best way to cope with this? I don't really need sound, how to
disable (short of disabling it on the mainboard)?
I already commented out the alsactl stuff in modprobe.conf, but this
doesn't change anything and the snd_* modules still get loaded. According
to modprobe it thinks it's Intel 8x0 while it is an nforce2 chipset. Well,
this may be okay for the kernel, I don't know. Can I disable using sound
for the X server or tell the kernel not to load any sound modules?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany