[CentOS] Upgrading to CentOS 4.2 from FC2?

Wed Feb 15 04:03:50 UTC 2006
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 19:15 -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
> > yes, the packages versions in FC4 are superior that the version in CentOS. Is
> > imposible to do an automatic downgrade to CentOS. wait for CentOS 5 for the
> > conversion (after that u upgrade FC4 to FC5 in march)
>
> Not to nitpick here, but 'superior' isn't really the right word. The
> packages are newer, yes. They're also less tested, and generally not
> as stable as a whole.
----
different target market for Fedora and CentOS

Neither is better, target is different. I would never use Fedora for a
server that I intend to keep in service for over 6 months...I prefer
Fedora for my desktop since it has newer, expanded feature set of end
user applications but stability is not Fedora's greatest virtue as Jim
is suggesting.

In any event...an 'upgrade' from any version of Fedora to any version of
RHEL or CentOS or vice versa, from any version of RHEL or CentOS to any
version of Fedora is never a recommended path and though some of these
types of 'upgrades' might have a better chance of succeeding than
others, someone who is not familiar with the differences in packaging or
with the various Red Hat bundling overall is likely to struggle with the
after effects of doing such an 'upgrade'.

Craig