READ! [CentOS] mirrorlist.centos.org port 81? (Yumconf changes)

Fri Feb 17 02:51:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 21:28 +0000, Lance Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, [ISO-8859-2] Maciej ¯enczykowski wrote:
>
> > > Why not - they are the same old mirrors - all that happens is that yum
> > > gets a lost of local up to date mirrors for the release/repo/arch from the
> > > mirrorlist server on port 81 - chosen solely so that we can run it on the
> > > same server
> > > as normal apache on port 80.
> > >
> > > If you have fastestmirror plugin enabld yum will then test the mirrors and
> > > use the fastest local connection.
> > >
> > > The version of yumex that we have at dev.centos.org alsouses the same
> > > mirrorlist system.
> >
> > Note that using a non-standard port (81) here is an error - many restrictive
> > firewalls (or proxies) won't allow such a connection - for example at my Mom's
> > work (were I'm now) and my Dad's.  Even though it's an outgoing connection.
>
> You have a good point - and we will make changes ...

OK ... we have modified our system so that it listens on Port 80 for
mirrorlist.centos.org to serve mirrorlists ... it also still listens on
port 81, so either of these will now serve mirrorlists.

> > Setup apache virtual hosting, add a new dns name, and use apache's proxy module
> > to proxy mirrorlister:80 to localhost:81
> > otherwise this will break for a lot of people.
>
> There is no need for virtual hosting /proxy - and anyway we are running
> this using lightpd/fastcgi for performance reasons.
>
> We have set up http://mirrorlists.centos.org/ running on port 80 - so if
> you get hit by being unable to use port 81 outgoing then please change
> the config to use mirrorlists. :80  ...
>
> We will be pushing an update to make port 80 the default.

And we have pushed the new centos-yumconf file, so the the default
mirrorlist.centos.org connections are now made on port 80.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Johnny Hughes