Returning to - Re: [CentOS] Installing Java 1.4.2

Mon Feb 20 13:23:45 UTC 2006

At 08:31 PM 2/19/2006, Jim Perrin wrote:
> > It SEEMs that jpackage has a java JDK that I can use?
> >
> > http://jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=3319
> >

>That's not a java jdk, that's the compatibility rpm. As their
>description says "This package provides JPackage compatibility
>symlinks and directories for the vendor's JDK rpm." All it does is
>provide links.
>

> > It is 1.5.0 and the Centos instructions
> > (http://www.scalix.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=516&highlight=centos)
> > recommend 1.4.2, but oh well.
>
>Did you LOOK at the jpackage page?

Yes.  Did have trouble deciphering it.  I think I ihave the wrong
Captian Crunch Decoder Ring...

>here are packages for 1.4.2 java versions also. Keep in mind, you
>still have to get java from
>java.sun.com.

The instructions I have found say I need j2sdk-1_4_2_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin

An earlier reply on this list said I would find what I needed at
jpackage.  The only think I see listed for 1.4.2 on jpackage is
gcj-compat and Kaffe.  Well at least they have 1.4.2 in their discriptions.

So I guess I have to figure out getting the stuff from sun after all...

> > So do I put in 2 yum repros in /etc/yum.repos.d?
> >
> > CentOS-Base.repo
> >
> > is currently in there.
> >
> > Can I add:
> >
> > jpackage.repo
> >
> > and install their gpg key?
> >
> > then:  yum install java-1.5.0-sun-compat     ???
>
>Do you want 1.5, or 1.4.2?

Well, the instructions mentioned problems reported with 1.5.  but was
written back in AUgust.

> > After that, a yum update would first hit the Centos site for updates,
> > then the jpackage?
>
>This will give you access to the packages that jpackage can distribute, yes.

got it.