Thank you everyone Re: [CentOS] Serious desktop/mouse problem in Gnome

Wed Feb 22 14:03:54 UTC 2006

At 06:23 PM 2/21/2006, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > >Well the psmouse.proto=imps needs to be added to one of the kernel
> > >command lines in grub.conf, not on a line by itself.
> >
> > where do I put that option?
> >
>after the "quiet" add a "space" and try  psmouse.proto=imps
>
>also try psmouse.proto=bare
>
>you might also try this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for the mouse driver (that
>works for my belkin switch and a logitech scroll mouse):
>
>         Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

I want to say that nothing worked, in changing configurations, but
moving the system to the first KVM did.

While in init 3 boot mode, I ran:  Xorg -configure

It did not recognize the mouse.

I did not read further in
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml to see that I should
have tried xorgconfig and see what it would do.

Well, since the mouse is working now, I think I am going to try these
two to see what they do...

Again, thanks for all the great help.  I really don't know how I am
going to document this one.  Probably has something to do with the
power in my KVMs.

BTW, they are old ATEN Master View plus CS-138D.  These are 2U 8 port
KVMs that support cascading from ports 1-6 (cannot cascade from 7 or
8, and now I think it is a power problem).   According to ATEN's old
records, these were suppose to be for the EU market.  But they were
in original manufacturing packaging with 110 power transformers.  I
currently have 12 ports in use.  One goes to my work bench where I
have an old KVM that does not support the cascade, so I have to
switch that manually (allowing for multiple systems in
development).  If I could find a CHEAP 1U 16 porter that could use my
current cables (well that may take a 2U), I would jump at it.  I will
probably have to, as in another location I had a CS-104 and put in an
LCD monitor, but the 104 could not drive it.  I suspect that when I
go to replace my very old CRT here, I will need that new KVM!  Oh,
for systems in production in my NOC, the score card is:

NT              1
W2K             4
XP              1
Centos  4
Astaro          1

One of the Centos is suppose to sundown the NT.  But I have to spend
the time to get SAMBA with PDC support working on that one.