[CentOS] rsh/rlogin on CentOS4.2

Thu Feb 2 17:28:35 UTC 2006
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 02/02/06, Scott Taylor <scott at dctchambers.com> wrote:

> On Thu, February 2, 2006 09:04, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:
> > 2006/2/2, Scott Taylor <scott at dctchambers.com>:
> >> I'm not quite sure what has changed in the recent rsh commands, but I
> >> can't seem to get around the password promting.  I need a clnk rsh
> >> between
> >> two machines in order to run my backup script.
> >
> >> I can't seem to find anything in the help files about it.  How can I
> >> configure rsh to use the old, normal way of auth?
> >
> > Not an actual answer to your question, but have you considered using
> > SSH?  The Linux community has all but abandoned rsh in favor of ssh.
> > I understand that it would require you to edit your scripts, but it
> > could be worth it.
>
> Nope.  I _need_ to use rsh.  That should say "clean" rsh above.

There's been a bunch of Kerberos stuff intgrated into the rsh/rlogin
utilities which could be throwing it. If you're attempting to connect
as a root user then IIRC there are some changes need to be made to
some of the PAM configs too.

However, as Salvatore suggested, you should be able to transparently
replace RSH with SSH and it'd problably take the same, if not less,
effort than sorting RSH.

If your backup process is a script then it should be easy enough to
get in there and hack about with it.

Will.