[CentOS] Groupware

Mon Feb 6 17:50:09 UTC 2006
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Sunday 05 February 2006 18:44, Peter Farrow wrote:
> Can any one recommend a decent groupware package that runs on Linux,
>
> I've looked at OpenExchange, and Kolab both of which look good,
>
> Regards
>
> Pete

I built Kolab on Aurora Linux 2.0beta on an E5500 8 proc box a couple of weeks
ago, and it seems to work quite well.  The only caveat as that, while you
build Kolab, and when you initialize it the first time, SELinux needs to be
set to nonenforcing or disabled (which, IIRC, is the way you prefer to run
anyway, so shouldn't bother you).  I have successfully build Kolab on CentOS
4.2, and it was fairly easy, although it does take quite a bit of time (took
an hour and a half on a Xeon 2.8 with 1GB RAM, and eight hours on the E5500
(the build only used one proc)).  You use the OpenPKG system, which rebuilds
from source RPMs and sets up its own 'sub-distribution' sequestered away from
the main distribution.

For our purposes, the draw was the integration with Outlook and Kontact
simultaneously; that is, folders can be shared between Outlook clients and
Kontact clients, including contacts, calendars, and shared e-mail folders.  I
have tested and used the Outlook plugin called Toltec, and it seems to work
quite well and very seamlessly, on the Outlook side.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology