[CentOS] Oracle and kernel 2.6 vs 2.4 performance question

Tue Feb 7 00:37:14 UTC 2006
Edwin Steele <edwin at commsecure.com.au>

On 07/02/2006, at 2:17 AM, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

> We're currently running Oracle 9i on a RHEL AS 2.1 installation.  We
> need to upgrade to Oracle 10g, and I've half-way convinced my boss to
> upgrade to RHEL 4 (we're still discussing AS vs ES, since we're
> running 2 HT processors...).
>
> Anyway, I want to upgrade because of EOL issues whenever RHEL 5 comes
> out, but before he okays me wiping the server and installing 4, he
> wants to know if we're going to get any specific benefits out of
> upgrading the OS.  I recall that the 2.6 kernel did a bunch of
> optimization stuff, but is there anything in there that would affect
> the performance of Oracle 10g?

2.6 introduced a new disk scheduler which is tunable and can make
some significant differences. I always found HT on ES2.1 to be a
performance liability, for what it's worth. We were using 9iR2.

> And if so, are there any web sites to which I can direct him?  So far
> my googling hasn't been very productive.  Maybe I'm using the wrong
> search terms.

Redhat put out some nice, succinct papers when they release a
new version. They're management compatible too. I'd be looking
for pdfs at redhat's site.

Cheers,
Edwin.
--
Edwin Steele
System Administrator, CommSecure Australia Ltd.