[CentOS] I appear to be attacking others

Tue Feb 7 16:41:20 UTC 2006
James Gagnon <jamesg at nucleus.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of John Hinton
Sent: February 7, 2006 9:29 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] I appear to be attacking others

> I find it easier to deny all and then allow the very few who actually
> use ssh. But, this can get you into trouble if you suddenly find you
> need to shell in when out of town. A backdoor somewhere is a good idea!

> John Hinton

If its on a network with windows boxes like mine is, I just remote desktop
into a windows XP box then I can VNC or SSH into the linux box locally.  I
was under the impression that using the local network to connect to your
linux box was a bit more secure than going through the WAN.  But of course,
not every linux server is setup on a network where a windows XP box is on
the same LAN.  Just one little step I do to help security since my server is
at home.  But then again... one has to wonder how secure remote desktop for
windows really is... guess it's a win/lose situation =)

James