[CentOS] Nmap update checksum failures.

Wed Feb 15 12:15:20 UTC 2006
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 11:08, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 09:44 +0100, Peter Kjellström wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 February 2006 22:14, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > > Sorry to reply to myself, but ...

> > > Ummm... I'd try some manual junk if I had any idea where to start. I
> > > did the reboot, fsck, and even tried a yum update while in single user
> > > mode. ImageMagick updated ok, but the two files here failed again.
> > >
> > >    nmap-frontend.i386 2:4.01-1.2.el4.rf
> > >    nmap.i386 2:4.01-1.2.el4.rf
> > >
> > > Since I'm under the aegis of WFM now, if someone could give a starting
> > > point for me to follow and resolve, I'd appreciate it and stop
> > > pestering you all. I can't figure why only this one should be a problem
> > > only for my installation. *sigh*.
> >
> > FWIW, I see the exact same problem here with all of my centos-4 machines
> > that have nmap from rpmforge.net. I consider it a broken rpm package (but
> > havn't looked into it yet. I dropped dag a line about it.
>
> Peter, thanks for taking the time. I see several other posts report the
> problem now, so apparently the "WorksForMe" poster has a better setup.
> Anyway, Johnny Hughes replied (in thread Re: [CentOS] DAG Repository)
> that there is a known and on-going problem of this type with that mirror
> that is so persistent that Dag made a form for dealing with it. It is
> here
>
>           http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#C1
>
> > You can allways update and, for the time, ignore nmap like this:
> > yum --exclude=nmap update
>
> Yes, I did that. In resolution of another problem a couple weeks back, I
> re-read completely the oft cited YUM documents. Combined with
> suggestions like yours above that I had seen on the lists before, that
> one stuck in my mind and allowed me to proceed regardless of the one bad
> file.
>
> > /Peter
> >
> > ><snip diag listing I sent>
>
> What I'm thinking now is that there is probably some way to override the
> checksum/gpg checking from the command line. If so, and if I can find
> out what the real check sum is supposed to be, I could check the file
> and install it by turning off the checking (at the command line
> hopefully, instead of temp modification of the config file).

The bigger ones yum config, the more servers you depend upon for sanity in
order to get 100% success rate on yum update type commands :-/

I feel sorry for the rpmforge guys because they've had a lot of problems with
their mirrors (and as such with users running yum). They do a great job and
fantasic packages. The rpmforge-release package is a very good idea, it takes
care of adding the relevant parts to your yum conf and as such reduces risks
associated with the human factor.

As I wrote in the other sub thread, if yum and/or rpm barfs on the file it's
probably not a good candidate for installing. Don't fall down to fedora
levels of package checking ;-). If a package fails it's rpm sums, then it's
broken and the user should wait for a fixed one.

/Peter

> So a little
> reading again of the YUM docs (I hope I don't have to do it so often
> that I no longer need to read it! =:-O  ) and effort to get the right
> "numbers" and I shiould be able to get it done withb waiting for the
> habitually broken mirror folks to habitually fix it habitually
> temporarily again.
>
> Again, thanks for the reply.
>
> Bill

  Peter Kjellström               |