READ! [CentOS] mirrorlist.centos.org port 81? (Yumconf changes)

Thu Feb 16 21:28:10 UTC 2006
Lance Davis <lance at uklinux.net>

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, [ISO-8859-2] Maciej ¯enczykowski wrote:

> > Why not - they are the same old mirrors - all that happens is that yum
> > gets a lost of local up to date mirrors for the release/repo/arch from the
> > mirrorlist server on port 81 - chosen solely so that we can run it on the
> > same server
> > as normal apache on port 80.
> >
> > If you have fastestmirror plugin enabld yum will then test the mirrors and
> > use the fastest local connection.
> >
> > The version of yumex that we have at dev.centos.org alsouses the same
> > mirrorlist system.
>
> Note that using a non-standard port (81) here is an error - many restrictive
> firewalls (or proxies) won't allow such a connection - for example at my Mom's
> work (were I'm now) and my Dad's.  Even though it's an outgoing connection.

You have a good point - and we will make changes ...

> Setup apache virtual hosting, add a new dns name, and use apache's proxy module
> to proxy mirrorlister:80 to localhost:81
> otherwise this will break for a lot of people.

There is no need for virtual hosting /proxy - and anyway we are running
this using lightpd/fastcgi for performance reasons.

We have set up http://mirrorlists.centos.org/ running on port 80 - so if
you get hit by being unable to use port 81 outgoing then please change
the config to use mirrorlists. :80  ...

We will be pushing an update to make port 80 the default.

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.