[CentOS] yum update error - helpful advise please

Fri Feb 17 17:12:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 08:41 -0800, Robert Hanson wrote:
> greetings
>
> i have a certain production www and email server
>
> when i yum update
>
> [root at tst ~]# yum update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> update                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package spamassassin.i386 0:3.0.4-1.el4 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: perl-Mail-SpamAssassin = 3.0.2-1 for package:
> spamassassin-tools
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: perl-Mail-SpamAssassin = 3.0.2-1 is needed by
> package spamassassin-tools
>
> i get this and it dies of course...
>
> now, i have an decent idea of one way to approach dealing with this yet i
> wanted to seek the wisdom on the list so that i do not hose the machine
> "unnecessarily"
>
> what does the error mean or tell you experts and....
>
> thanks in advance for advise, different approaches, and pointers!

Does this machine have non-standard Spamassassin RPMS installed on it?

(The obvious answer is yes, since we don't have spamassassin-tools OR
perl-Mail-SpamAssassin in CentOS)

I would exempt spamassassin from the update process (add it to the
exclude= in /etc/yum.conf), or remove the 3rd party version and use the
version from CentOS.