[CentOS] Proper way to give rights at the file system?

Wed Feb 22 18:28:30 UTC 2006
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

James Pifer wrote:
> I have a certain directory under /usr that I want to make available
> through vsftp to a specific user. The easiest way to do this, I believe,
> is to create a symlink from the user's home directory to this directory.
> The catch is I want/need them to be able to delete/upload files as well.
> Root is the group and user owner of the files.
>
> What is the "proper" way to give rights for this user?

There really isn't.  If you're going to give the person write access to
/usr you'd better really trust that person.  If you trust that person
enough to do that, you might as well just allow them to have root access
through sudo so you can keep track of their activities.