[CentOS] Sendmail.cf / access.db

Mon Feb 27 17:24:14 UTC 2006
Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org>

Sam Drinkard wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>>> Mark, the entries are like this....
>>>
>>> 24.245.42.191        REJECT
>>> 25.110.50              REJECT
>>> 30.120                  REJECT
>>> 40                        REJECT
>>> somedomain.com  REJECT
>>> zw                        REJECT
>>> another-idea.com  REJECT
>>>

>>> etc... those just examples of the way the IP's and hostnames are in the
>>> access file.  I've been using an access file for years, but just
>>> noticed
>>> these IP's were not being blocked, but some are being caught by the
>>> spamd/rtbl and other spam fighting tools.
>>>
>>> Sam
>>>

>> Without detailed information about your sendmail.mc configuration, debug
>> test output and maillog entries showing the problem it is hard to say
>> why the mails go through.
>>
>> Alexander
>>

> Aside from relaying my own domain, the entire sendmail.cf is
> completely stock.

rather than using REJECT in the access file, you can also use DISCARD
which then silently drops the mail rather than sending a 550 notice.
This is useful in fighting spammers as often the from address is faked
and then you get a delivery failure for the REJECT.  A DISCARD nicely
circumvents this by effectively placing the emails into the equivalent
of  /dev/null  .....

You can also use more advanced entries like this...

from: email at domain.com    DISCARD

You can force a db rebuild with the makemap command if you think the
"make" isn't doing it, you can also do a "service sendmail restart"

P.