[CentOS] Re: suslog alternate log file

Mon Feb 27 23:11:19 UTC 2006
Lance Davis <lance at uklinux.net>

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Keith Morse wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > I have a cisco router sending syslog messages to a linux server. I've
> > been looking around on how to log those into a separate file and I've
> > run across using local7 in various howtos. It looks like you can have
> > 8 different local log settings, but I can't seem to find any docs on
> > how to set those up. Anyone have a howto on that?
> >

> My best suggestion is to take a look at syslog-ng for parsing this out.
> Takes a bit to get the syntax right but well worth it.

The syslog that comes with CentOS is quite capable of dealing with local7

try man syslog.conf

something as simple as :-

local7.*                                                /var/log/cisco.log

Should do the trick.

Also you have to make sure that the server is setup to receive remote
syslog - you need to add a -r switch in /etc/sysconfig/syslog (it is
documented in there ) , restart syslog,  and make
sure that port 514 udp is accessible to the host that is logging.

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.