[CentOS] PHP upgrade from 4.3.9 to 4.4.2 or 5.x

Thu Feb 2 11:31:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 09:39 +0000, Nigel kendrick wrote:
> Sorry - noob-ish question..
>
> I have been having problems on a CentOS 4.2 server following an upgrade to
> the latest version of SugarCRM (segfaults in Apache and some functions not
> working). Someone has just posted in the SugarCRM forums that they had
> exactly the same problems on CentOS 4.2 and they fixed them by upgrading
> from PHP 4.3.9 to 5.0.5.
>
> Being a more cautious chap, I'd like to try an upgrade to PHP 4.4.2 first
> but want to make sure I'm not entering a minefield with PHP as I can't find
> a friendly yum update so I would appreciate a heads-up on how best to go
> about it without screwing the whole thing up  - I am reading through the
> notes on the PHP web site but would appreciate it if someone would outline
> exactly what rpms or binaries I need to install and/or compile. Assuming
> 4.4.2 doesn't fix things I will have to go for 5.0.5 so any advice on this
> would be appreciated as the last thing I want to do is lose use of SugarCRM
> completely!
>
> Thanks in advance.

I haven't used that app (so I don't know if the advise is sound) ... but
there is a CentOS built (though unsupported) version of php-5 in the
CentOSPlus repository:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/Readme.txt

Unsupported is a relative term ... it is a better fit for CentOS-4 than
just about any other way to get php-5.

If you are going to enable the centosplus repo, I highly recommend that
you read:

man yum.conf

And that you set up the centosplus section of /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-
Base.repo with a line like this:

installonlypkgs=php*

(if you want other packages from the CentOS Plus repo, also add them to
the install only section using spaces between packages)

Also, I would put this line in the [base] and [updates] sections of the
file:

exclude=php*

(excluding any other centosplus packages is also recommended ... again,
spaces between packages on the exclude line in the [base] and [updates]
repo)

There are also instructions in the Readme.txt file that discuss php-
domxml .. that file does not exist in php-5.x so you have to remove it
by hand to upgrade.