[CentOS] ftp access directory

Thu Feb 2 16:39:29 UTC 2006
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 02/02/06, Andrew Rice <andrew at nams.net> wrote:

> I guess that allowing public_html access to a users dir via hostname/~username is bad security correct?

I don't know if vsftpd has the facility to chroot users anywhere other
than into $HOME . At least not unless you change their homes in
/etc/passwd which would have a *lot* of side-effects.

You could consider ProFTPD instead. It's more flexible
configuration-wise than vsftpd and I think was at one stage a standard
part of older RH distros. Of course increased complexity and
configuration scope can increase the chance of insecurity through
misconfiguration.

proftpd-1.2.10-8.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm is available from Dag and the boys
at RPMForge.

Will.