[CentOS] rsh/rlogin on CentOS4.2

Thu Feb 2 17:40:18 UTC 2006
Scott Taylor <scott at dctchambers.com>

On Thu, February 2, 2006 09:28, Will McDonald wrote:
> On 02/02/06, Scott Taylor <scott at dctchambers.com> wrote:
>>
>> Nope.  I _need_ to use rsh.  That should say "clean" rsh above.
>
> There's been a bunch of Kerberos stuff intgrated into the rsh/rlogin
> utilities which could be throwing it. If you're attempting to connect
> as a root user then IIRC there are some changes need to be made to
> some of the PAM configs too.

So I've noticed.  I apears to try to run ksh and klogin first.  There
doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off.

Could you elaborate on this PAM stuff, I don't see any reference to it in
the rsh man pages either.

> However, as Salvatore suggested, you should be able to transparently
> replace RSH with SSH and it'd problably take the same, if not less,
> effort than sorting RSH.
>
> If your backup process is a script then it should be easy enough to
> get in there and hack about with it.

If I could I would, but I can not.  The old UNIX box that the tape drive
is on does not support SSH.  I _need_ the old style rsh.  I know all about
SSH.

I just want to make rsh work like it used to.

--
Scott