[CentOS] ProLiant DL3n0 EMT64 - x86_64 or i686

Fri Feb 3 13:04:06 UTC 2006
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Thursday 02 February 2006 18:01, Will McDonald wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'll be building a couple of DL360 G4p & DL380 G4 boxes soon and I've
> not dealt extensively (i.e. at all) with any PC stuff that hasn't been
> i386. I know the DL line pretty well but it was all G2/3.
>
> So, question is, do I stick CentOS i386 or x86_64 on them? 2 boxes x
> 2GB RAM and 1 x 4GB, all SMP.

I'd say, let your applications decide for you. Application compatibility
(especially 3rd party) will be better on i386. But if you don't have any such
issues x86_64 is the way to go.

The 2nd thing to consider is memory addressing, this will be better on x86_64
(especially on your 4 GiB box). i386 will split your 2 or 4 GiB into low mem
and high mem and that will be harder for applications to use than the flat
model provided by x86_64.

And in the end, if at all, consider possible performance differences...

/Peter

  Peter Kjellström               |
  National Supercomputer Centre  |
  Sweden                         | http://www.nsc.liu.se