[CentOS] Updates

Fri Feb 3 16:25:31 UTC 2006
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 03/02/06, David Evennou (Data Masters, Inc.) <de at data-masters.com> wrote:
> Hello Members,
>
> I am getting a "timeout" error when trying to update using the internet. I
> think that maybe it is related to my ISP download bandwidth.
> Is there a way to get the updates from a faster connection, like from my
> home PC, and make a "LAN" update disk?

This has been covered a bit in the past. You can create a local Yum
repositry and update from that. My suggestion from the past thread
("Best way to mirror CentOS locally", 18-Oct-2005 15:08) ...

<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kick off an rsync from your closest fast mirror, wait for this to
complete, then setup a nightly cron job to keep in sync with this
mirror. Something like...

rsync -Pptrl --delete
rsync://rsync.sunsite.org.uk/sites/msync.centos.org/CentOS/4/
/local_repo/CentOS/4/

Would mirror the whole CentOS 4 tree to /local_repo/CentOS/4/ on the
system the sync was run on. You can then point the local yum configs

file:/local_repo/CentOS/4/

Run a webserver/ftpserver that can access /local_repo/CentOS/4/ to
make the updates available to other clients.

And Alfred von Campe added...

To speed things up (and to conserve disk space), you can add a
--exclude=isos to the rsync command (and also --exclude="alpha"
--exclude="ia64" --exclude="ppc" --exclude="s390*" --exclude="x86_64"
if you only need/want the i386 stuff).

Will.