[CentOS] works best with centos 4+? CPanel or Plesk?

Mon Feb 6 16:54:09 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 10:34, Jim Perrin wrote:

> Webmin scares me more from a security perspective (as do the others)
> mostly because I don't like the idea of a "one interface to rule them
> all" type of approach. There have been several privilege escalation
> type holes found in webmin, and if someone gets access to it they can
> do whatever they want to your system. I suppose the same is true for
> cpanel and plesk, although I dislike them for other reasons. Or it
> could be the fact that I'm firmly entrenched in the "Commandline
> Admin" camp with no intention of moving.

The same is true for ssh...  And would you rather have a tool
where problems have been found and fixed or where they haven't
been found ...yet?

>  I've seen far too many
> "Admins"  click a machine to death with lack of understanding. In
> fairness, they do this on the command line also with --force or
> --nodeps etc.. but in smaller numbers.

Webmin generally imposes a syntax sanity check before saving
a change so you don't kill the server by omitting a quote
somewhere, which is really the worst problem with command line
administration.

If you want something more extreme in web-managed servers, look
at SME server from www.contribs.org.  The version currently in
pre-release is based on centos 4.x and the fill-in-the form
administration won't let you do it wrong.  It's fairly safe
to give remote office administrators the admin password to
add and remove users even it they know nothing about normal
system administration.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com