[CentOS] Timeout While Retrieving Package

Wed Feb 8 16:15:37 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> I am trying to get the latest updates and I keep getting the error message:
>
> "Error while retrieving package kernel-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL. The Message was:
> Timed Out"

How are you trying to update? via yum, or up2date?

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Whay is this happening?

Depends on what you're using. Mostly, whichever update server you're
connecting to isn't responding for some reason. Or your system isn't
getting the response, either because of a firewall or busted proxy.
> 2. Can I change the "Timeout" parameter to allow for more time?

Depends on what you're using.

> Note: I have checked only the Kernal option when running Up2Date thinking
> this may help.

Oh. You're using up2date. Up2date is not a tool I'd recommend using.
It 'works', but it doesn't handle yum repos as well as it could. You
should try using yum from the terminal with 'yum update'. There is a
timeout option in yum that you can change. By default I believe it is
set at 30s. You can read about this in the documentation for yum.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775