[CentOS] Entry server hardware

Sun Feb 12 18:48:44 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 01:12, Isreal Varela wrote:

> > Any particular reason why you're not using Linux Software RAID? Having had to
> > swap RAID arrays in a hurry to alien hardware, using standard IDE and
> > software RAID was a lifesaver for me!
> >

> I always thought hardware RAID was the way to go, Seems cleaner to me.
> Just used to doing it that way in the Microsoft world I guess.

Hardware is better for raid5 where some computation is required.
For raid1 it is just a matter of having drives that can
execute commands concurrently.  That is, using 2 drives on the
same IDE controller would be a bad idea, but SCSI is OK and
SATA only permits one drive per controller anyway.  There is
not a lot of CPU overhead in mirroring.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com