[CentOS] Can i use apt on Centos??

Tue Feb 14 09:39:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 14:37 -0800, Henry Rodriguez wrote:
> I am installing Centos SPARC and i just want to know if i can use apt
> on it, and if that's possible, how can i install it??
> Thanks..

Apt for RPM is a dead technology ... The person who did apt is now doing
smartpm:

http://labix.org/smart

Smart PM works with yum repos :)

To answer your original question: No, you can't.

Apt does not work with architectures that can have multiple libraries
(aka. Multi-Lib arches).

A Multi-Lib arch is one that might have the same packages installed for
more than one glibc and can run packages from more than one arch.  An
example is the x86_64 arch .. it also runs i386 packages.  SPARC also
can be Multi-Lib, so there is no apt repo for it on CentOS.

The only distro where we build and apt repo is i386.