[CentOS] ssh attack

Thu Feb 16 22:25:01 UTC 2006
Max <btmanmeh at verizon.net>

Jim Smith wrote:
> Without sounding rude, this item features quite regularly and it
> would be faster to search. For example this was on the Nahant list
> recently (some of the Redhat's devs views particularly on denyhosts
> is amazing.), is a sticky in the gentoo forums, features in fedora
> forum and Linux Questions etc.
>
> Thus more time could be given to solve non-recurring important issues.

No rudeness taken. In response, without sounding rude back, isn't that
what a forum is supposed to be about? If someone finds a topic to not be
important, delete the post, or ignore it, and find an issue you find
important to reply to. I only mentioned the DenyHosts link because, I
myself, just found the project a few days ago, and no one had mentioned
it on this thread.

There are a million ways to handle a common issue like this, I think the
original poster was simply looking to be pointed to some good ways to
handle it. I just learned of all the different ways to handle SSH
attacks by reading this post as well, so if someone can learn something
from a recurring issue, then that's a good thing.

I've been told time after time to RTFM by my mentor, but he still takes
the time to sit me down and show me the good and right way to do even
the simple things. And at the very least, he'll shoot a URL to me with
the information to read on my own time. Sometimes there can be too much
information on a certain topic, and new people to Linux don't know which
is the best way to do a simple task. It can be confusing to know which
is the best or preferred way people are handling things.

I understand you though, so don't take offense. :)

Max