[CentOS] ncurses programs look messaed up

Tue Feb 21 21:54:26 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> I already have that setting. I tried running a console based ncurses
> program from my fedora core 4 box and got the same results as with
> centos-4.2

This sort of thing is usually caused either by UTF-8 artifacts in
non-utf8 aware software, or by a bad $TERM or $LANG value.  Matt is
correct to assume UTF-8, and I still do. Could you run two commands
from the shell, and describe  how you're connecting (gnome-terminal,
putty, rxvt etc)?
run:
echo $TERM
echo $LANG

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775