[CentOS] Centos vs FC

Wed Feb 22 15:06:45 UTC 2006
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 05:20, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> By the way,
> Can I take a screenshot during installation? I'm setting up RAID-1 and LVM
> and I'm planning to make a tutorial about it.

Yes, you can do this.  The easiest way is by installing over vnc; you run the
vnc client on either Windows or Linux and take your screenshots from there.

You access vnc mode from the boot: prompt of the installer.  The command line
is something like (look it up in the Red Hat EL4 install docs, available at
Red Hat's website):
linux vnc vncpasswd=desiredpassword

The installer will ask you about networking; if you do not have a DHCP server
on you will need to set up the networking manually.  The installer will then
tell you what to do; you then attach to the vnc session on the IP address you
set up, and using the vnc password you provided on the command line.  From
there it is identical to setting up using a local GUI.

I've done network installs this way for a while; access the console just long
enough to issue a 'linux askmethod vnc vncpasswd=' command line, point the
network installer to an http repository of the files needed, and install
through vnc graphically.  Works great for serial console installs especially.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology