[CentOS] Proper way to give rights at the file system?

Wed Feb 22 21:27:27 UTC 2006
Jim Wildman <jim at rossberry.com>

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, James Pifer wrote:

> Let me give a few more details. The person will have to access this
> through a portal, which will only allow access to the directories that I
> specify. The backend portal process will connect to the system using
> vsftp. So the user will not have wide open access to the system and they
> will not even know the login info.
>
> So it sounds like I need to do chmod on all the files under that
> directory?

If you mean /usr/<somenewdirectory>, yes that would be ok, thought not a
good idea.  It should be in /home, or /usr/local.  DO NOT chmod
/usr/*.  You will regret it.

> Do files inherently inherit the rights of the directory that contains
> them? My concern is with new files that get created, even by root. If

Not unless the set user or set group bits are set.

> they are in the directory that I give access to, it's assumed the user
> can do what they want with it, as update or delete.

This is usually configurable via the ftp server.  For instance you can
configure it so uploaded files are 'invisible'.