[CentOS] installing centos x86_64 on AMD Turion laptop

Fri Feb 24 23:04:55 UTC 2006
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

mrrs wrote:
> --- Andrew Rice <andrew at nams.net> wrote:
>

>> hey all...just curious if anyone has dealt with any issues regarding installing centos x86_64 on
>> a laptop running
>> with an AMD turion 64 bit processor
>> --
>> Andrew Rice Jr
>>

> Funny you should mention that - I just went through this and pestered the list about this very
> subject about a week ago. I have an HP Pavillion with an ATI card, and the video to the laptop
> display blanked in X. I had to use an external monitor to do the install. Once the install was
> complete, the video worked in VESA mode.
>
> Also the hard drive is very slow - there does not seem to be a way to enable DMA mode. Someone
> else on the list had this same problem.

Did you try running a more bleeding edge kernel to see if things got better?

It would seem that the "easy" way out for a power sipping unix laptop
with decent graphics and processor speeds right now is a Macbook Pro.  8-)

Cheers,