[CentOS] Updates on Centos 4

Mon Feb 27 18:47:39 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 08:58, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >>Also, its a good idea to subscribe to the CentOS-announce mailing list,
> >>all package updates are announced there. ( http://lists.centos.org/ )
> >>
> >>Setting up rss feeds for the repositories as well, so you could / would
> >>/ should be able to subscribe to only the repo+arch combinations you
> >>want to stay informed about... Lookout for an announcement about this
> >>shortly.
> >

> > Or you can just do a 'yum update' regularly and the right thing
> > will happen.
> >

> depends on what you do, on a lot of production machines, people prefer
> to first know about the issues being fixed, and testing updates before
> they go live.
>
> but, i guess that depends a lot on what you do and what your machines do :)

You still have to answer 'yes' to a "yum update' after it shows
you the list it plans to update, so assuming you answer correctly
it will always do the right thing.  If you do it fairly often,
the list will only be large at point release times so you
won't have much trouble deciding whether it is likely to break
something or not. Or, if you have a place to test, do it there
first.  In general, I'll assume that the people generating the
updates know more about the programs than I do and thus it is
worse to avoid the update than apply it. If you've watched
this list for a while, you'll know that you don't see a lot
of 'update xxx broke something', although it is always possible.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com