Updated DNS Re: Update DNS - Re: [CentOS] DNS maybe problems

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jan 3 16:10:39 UTC 2006

I know the comments about top posting, but I think it is ok in this case....

I finally got DNS working.  Dumb dumb dumb.

I was so fed up, and since there was nothing on this system and I
installed BIND by using the 'broken' redhat GUI instead of installing
intially or using yum install, I did a total rebuild (and brought the
system memory up to 256Mb by stealing from another system for now).

Had a real rough time on that reinstall (another story and post).

Well, I again copied my named.custom and *.zone files into
/var/named/chroot/etc  and it still did not work.

So I again stared at the system logs.  I finally noticed that
named.custom was being processed, but none of the zone files were being found.

I looked at my mode to named.conf and I had:

include "'/etc/named.custom"

But in named.custom I had:

file "whatever.zone"

Dah.

changed that to be "/etc/whatever.zone"  and things started working right!

Now how in the bleep did I have this in my old attempt (but Centos
3.4) and it worked?

On to getting mail working then telling all and sundry that my
primary dns server is on a new address.  Oh what fun that will be!