[CentOS] date in logrotate

Jim Perrin

jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:43:58 UTC 2006

Quick logrotate question for the group. To comply with a PHB mandate,
I need to keep our apache logs for a minimum of 2 years, and will be
periodically required to hand over chunks of the logs from specific
dates/times. While extending the timeframe of logrotate is easy, I've
found that there's no elegant solution in the RH/CentOS logrotate for
appending dates to the filename. I'm curious to know what others with
similar requirements are doing for this. I'd like to stay within the
default system framework (no 3rd party apps as they have to be
"approved"), so mostly I'm looking for suggestions for a more elegant
postrotate script.

Thanks