[CentOS] x86 -64 sys...powernow-k8???

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Wed Jan 4 00:38:24 UTC 2006

Jim Perrin wrote:

>>...just wondering what that msg means...was hitting really regular then
>>stopped...like it was hitting /var/log/messages bout every 3 secs
>>

>Bit of googling turned up a statement from the AMD kids that says the following
>We've started seeing this internally in AMD QA. The bit
>that the processor uses to indicate that it is in the
>process of changing frequencies (aka the pending change
>bit) is not clearing. The powernow-k8 driver cannot
>change frequencies until the previous change has completed.
>
>Because this is happening on the hardware side, my best
>guess is that the problem is not software related. We've
>reported the problem to the AMD hardware debug team and
>they're investigating. I'll put out a patch when we have
>a solution.
>
>-Mark Langsdorf
>AMD, Inc.
>

>The other information I've seen says that it's likely related to
>processor speed stepping and not recovering properly etc.
>
>--
>Jim Perrin
>System Architect - UIT
>Ft Gordon & US Army Signal Center

There was something on the SuSE AMD64 list a few weeks back about this.
In fact, what you googled up looks like part of that thread verbatim.
They said there that it is something in generic kernel code (not SuSE-,
& presumably CentOS-, specific) & that folks were toiling furiously to
get it fixed. Might be a while till it makes it into more settled EL
code, however ....

--
	William A. Mahaffey III
	"Freedom is never more than one generation away from

			-- President Ronald Reagan