[CentOS] *tangent* High Availability using 2 sites -- yep, "propogation."

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 00:54:29 UTC 2006

Mickael Maddison <centos at silverservers.com> wrote:
> Hello Les,
> Thanks for that info.  I'm playing with this now and
> although the 'failover' process seems rather slow, it does
> seem to be doing what I need. I setup a subdomain entry to
> point to 4 IP's, only one if which is actually working, and
> indeed, when IE get's a non-active IP, it eventually goes
> the next one until it finally finds the actual live
> IP.  Once it gets the live one, the site works as expected
> (of course).
> I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread... for my client's
> current need, this will do the trick nicely.

For a corporate network, this does the job.  You've got
access to the authority, and you're working at wire-speeds.

For the Internet, it doesn't work nearly as well.  The logic
is going to be far more arbitrary based on provider services
between the end user and the end server.

That has been my continued viewpoint.  Again, I've written
some rather interesting GPOs for the Windows resolver and MS
IE to deal with this.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com