[CentOS] 3ware disk failure -> hang

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Jan 6 19:53:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 at 11:47am, Mickael Maddison wrote

> Friday, January 6, 2006, 11:16:31 AM, you wrote:

>> Yes, I'm aware of all that.  I've been using 3wares for *years* (as
>> giggle would easily have revealed).  But, as the archives of this list
>> will attest to, using these boards in hardware RAID mode in centos 4 is
>> bad news.  Performance sucks.  There's some sort of nasty interaction
>> between the 3wares and ext3 which makes the combo unusable, really. And
>> we all know the upstream provider's stance on XFS.
>
> I have a number of machines running 3ware cards on CentOS 3/4 and I
> haven't had any trouble with them in HW RAID.

I guess it depens on your definition of "trouble".  These are benchmarks I
ran on this system with the 2 3wares in hardware RAID5 and a software
RAID0 across them:

      write   read
ext2    81    180
ext3    34    222
XFS    109    213

That ext3 write speed was something I just wasn't willing to live with on
a system that used to perform so much better (running RH7.3, hw RAID, and
XFS).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering