[CentOS] Compile vs. RPM

Mon Jan 9 17:19:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 09:10 -0800, Mickael Maddison wrote:
> Monday, January 9, 2006, 8:32:07 AM, you wrote:

> >> yes - as long as you match the release and update cycle ( if required )
> >>
> >> if you come across something that isnt compatible - let the packager
> >> know and let us know as well.
> >>
> > right ... everything that is written for RHEL should work on CentOS too.
>
> > The only issue might be things that look specifically for something
> > in /etc/redhat-release.
>
> > Obviously, we can't put the same line that RH puts in their product, so
> > some installers (like Oracle) that specifically look for a string from
> > upstream will not initially work with CentOS.
>
> > It is usually very easy to get these to work .. look at this example and
> > search for redhat-release on the page:
>
> > http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10g.shtml
>
> > And it will tell you how to change your /etc/redhat-release file to
> > allow there installers to function.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Johnny Hughes
>

> Ok.  So basically, every response on this list feels that RPM's are
> sufficiently stable, are created fast enough to address security
> concerns that come up, and have all the 'normal' functionality that
> pretty much anyone needs... is that a fair statement?

I think that is the reason to have an enterprise linux OS ... fast
updates that should make your software continue to work.

> My reasons over the years for compiling stem from starting on Solaris,
> then Solaris for Intel, then to RedHat 7-9, to WBEL and now CentOS.
> While there have been a lot of changes to the OS's, the compiling and
> installing has remained pretty much the same throughout.  I have had
> some problems at times getting dependancies worked out, but at the end
> of the day have always acheived the desired result eventually.
>
> The one thing I've always liked about installing from tarball
> distributions is that I prefix everything into /usr/local -- so it's
> easy to find all the pieces.  This is perhaps the one thing that I
> find most annoying about RPM; spreading things all over the place.  Of
> course, being able to custom compile modules etc. has worked well.

rpm -ql package_name

(tells you where the files are ... although knowing where they are is
less important since they all go away if the package is removed)

> QUESTION:  Do most of you cron the yum updates, or do you watch for
> new RPMs and update "manually"?

I would never update important production servers automatically without
testing the install first on a test server ... but that is just me.